Home from Home
COVID-19 has meant that many of us have been unable to leave our homes. The children and young people at WESC Foundation, a specialist provision for children and young adults with visual impairment and complex needs, are no different.
Today, they need your help to transform their old, outdated facilities into modern living accommodation with specially adapted equipment where they can learn key life skills and live as independently as possible. Together, we can create their fit for purpose home-from-home.
Why do our young people need a home from home?
Much of our accommodation was built in the 1970s and 1980s to support students at the old West of England School and College.
The young people who spend all or much of the year at WESC Foundation in 2020 also have other complex needs including autism, cerebral palsy and, sadly, life limiting illnesses too.
Many of their needs simply can’t be met by these ageing buildings.
What do we want to provide?
With your help we want to:
- add state of the art hoists to all our accommodation to enable a student at WESC Foundation to more easily transfer from a wheelchair or bed or get into the bath or use the toilet
- create bedrooms that feel like home, especially when their home is far away
- modernise shared and personal spaces with lighting, flooring and walls that create a better environment to support a young person’s visual impairment or remaining useful vision
- adapt kitchens that can be used by blind and partially sighted teenagers more independently, either standing or in a wheelchair
- create comfortable social spaces for young adults to relax with their friends
How you can help create a Home from Home
Donate by text
Text BEDROOM to 70085 to donate £5.
Texts cost £5 plus one standard rate message and you’ll be opting in to hear more about our work and fundraising via telephone and SMS. If you’d like to give £5 but do not wish to receive marketing communications, text BEDROOMNOINFO to 70085.